Saturday, July 24

SW:TOR - Space combat confirmed

From the official forum

"If you’ve been following the news coming out of the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ panel at Comic-Con International, you’ve heard the announcement that we will indeed have Space Combat as part of the TOR experience! But what does that mean? Space combat is an alternative gameplay experience to the primary game of storytelling, questing, and ground-based combat. In space combat, you fly your personal ship to various “hot spots” on your galaxy map. From there, you will blast your way through asteroid fields, enemy fighters, frigates, destroyers, and a variety of other obstacles that will evoke memories of some of the great Star Wars™ space battles."

Good news, takes the game up another hype level for me. How it will be implemented is anyones guess at the moment. Looking forward to learning more, will it be instanced, do we have open space, is it progressive? I can't see it being as involved and expansive as ground combat but I can dream :)


4 comments:

  1. Sounds great. I never really saw the space combat of SWG for instance so I can't argue the qualities of a side game like that, but some of my happiest times as a teenager were spent strapped in an A-wing or TIE-Interceptor :-)

    It's going to be tricky though. A mini-game would be considered a "dumbed down" flight sim. The words "slap in the face" will be heard no doubt. A full blown flight sim, would dillute the game's focus I think. But maybe not enough to be a problem. I've always felt that MMO's could do with more than one focus provided there's enough of a populace for each. Heck Vanguard almost managed it with two out of three spheres :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't figure out if I like or dislike it.

    On one hand it is pretty cool to have the option. It will be pretty nifty to go out and have a dog fight. I guess there will be weapon and armor upgrades available too. All pretty exciting.

    But on the other hand it could be something I really don't enjoy. At best it a wasted part of the game for me. At worst I will be missing out certain progression lines, content, or I might even get gimped for it.

    I have never liked or much played any flight (with or without shooting) games. So I am not sure I'll like it here. But for now I think it is a cool idea, and it is something new. So cookie for Bioware.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it's the most asked for feature from SWG veterans, besides the one to remake their personal ideal of SWG of course. It's not entirely new. There's several precedents in fact.

    I see your concern, treat it like raiding though. Unless you feel that paying for the game and the subscription entitles you to every award and advancement line in the game?

    I suspect it's going to be more along the lines of mini-game than Sphere though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Ive always liked the idea of having more areas of combat than just land, so many mmo's limit you to that or force you to only fly but you never get to fight on land (EVE). The only game that I've found a fun combat system, outside of the main combat, was Pirates of the Carribean online, where you could steer your ship (and control some weak cannons) while your friends man the other cannons in a 3rd person shooter style. The only real problems i could see with this, vs. star wars space combat, is that movement is no longer on a flat surface but 3-axis movement should be allowed with the help of camera controls. If they did something like this, it wouldnt be overboard or not enough, imo.

    ReplyDelete